Following the Board of Directors meeting on 3rd February 2018 the following changes to competition format for the Adult World Solo Drumming Championships from October 2018 have been approved.
1. No critique sheets
No critique sheet format to be fully adopted in both the Adult Semi-finals and Finals from 2018.
2. Restrictive action
A restriction on pre-qualification will be taken against any pre-qualified player who fails to compete on the day of the World Solo Drumming Championship where they have failed to inform the RSPBA of an acceptable reason for their absence from the event.
Restricted player/s will not be eligible for the uptake of a pre-qualification place arising from their participation in any pre-qualification event the following year.
Restricted player/s will be eligible to qualify from the qualification heats on the day of the World Solo Drumming Championship.
3. No pre-qualification from previous years final to semi-final stage
All entrants must pre-qualify via either of the four Regional Qualification events process or the qualification heats on the day of the championships. To facilitate this the numbers to qualify from each event will be as follows:
- 4 Regional qualification events - 4 qualifiers from each (total of 16)
- 3 qualification heats on the day of the championships - 6 qualifiers from each heat
- This will mean a total of 34 qualifying for the semi-final stage, split into 2 semi-finals with 6 qualifying from each of the semi-finals to make a final of 12
The 2018 pre-qualifying events and hosting branches are:
- Dundee/Perth/ Angus Branch - Kingdom Solos, Fife. (10th March)
- Lothian and Borders Branch Indoors - Livingston. (24th March)
- RSPBA NI Branch - Lisburn. (21st April)
- Glasgow and West of Scotland Branch Indoors - Coatbridge. (28th April)
The sixteen regional qualifiers will be allocated to the semi-finals as follows.
Four Qualifiers from each of event one and event three
Four Qualifiers from each of event two and event four
4. Adjudicators for all Regional qualification events
Adjudicators will only be allocated by H.Q. As per normal major championships.
This process has taken place on Wednesday 17th January. The allocations are pending ratification by the Board of Directors meeting on 3rd February 2018.
This will be used to help eliminate the sometimes uneven nature of the heats from an open draw.
Seeding of the World Solo Drumming qualifiers will take place on the following basis.
- The finalists in the order of play from the previous year, less those who have pre-qualified, will be allocated on a round robin to each of the three qualifying heats.
- All other competitors will be allocated on a random draw basis.
- Once all competitors have been allocated to a qualifying heat, a draw will take place to determine the order of play.
6. Playing Requirements
Players are to submit two MSRs
- In qualifying heat, the MSR to be played will be drawn on the line. This is so the format of this event is the same as the Regional qualifying events.
- In the semi-final the MSR to be played will be drawn on the line.
- In the final the MSR to be played will be players second MSR not played in the semi-final.
Hornpipe & Jig
The format of the Hornpipe and Jig Final will be two four parted hornpipes and two four parted jigs. The player should demonstrate knowledge of both the Dot / Cut and Open rhythm/idioms within their performance of the hornpipes. Hornpipes to be played in set order of Dot and Cut first.
To facilitate the increased requirements the current MSR weighting process has been removed
MSR results only to be used as Tie breaker, if highest number of highest placings fails to separate competitors.
7. Final Open draw
Return to a separate open draw for the final.
8. Final start times
A minimum of ½ hour will be allowed between final announcement and start of competition.
9. Sequencing of Final
M.S.R. Final will be run first with Hornpipe/Jig final to be the final event.
10. Full draw information to be announced at least 4 weeks prior to event. To enable this, the closing dates, draws etc will be brought in to line with major championships.
Chief Executive Officer